Thursday 3 November 2011

Big Star

Big Star - 28" x 21" - Watercolour
 
Sometimes the title for a painting is in the picture itself. At the time I painted this I was living in the USA. I was grocery shopping and had parked at the back of Big Star where there were always spaces. There was a big, old, broken down Ford and a dead tree against a concrete wall. I thought it would make a good painting. Not only a good painting but also somehow typical of my experience of living in the USA. I added the figure later. I didn't have a choice about the title, not when it was staring me in the face.
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andy,

    I came across your site, and thought I'd tell you that I am sitting only 3 feet away from "Cafe", which still gives us great pleasure every day hanging on the kitchen wall, even though we were disappointed to find, on a visit to Budleigh, that the cafe has been repainted and the CAFE sign has gone.

    Hope life in Sussex suits you, and you and Kate are well.

    Lois Wakeman (hairdressing client and painting purchaser in the late 1980s!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to post 'Cafe' next!

    ReplyDelete